The opening round of the 2014 TRITON SHOWERS South East Stages Rally Championship, the Tipperary Motor Club’s Sean Conlon Memorial Forestry Rally was indeed blessed with the only rain-free week window in a week of continuous rain, which had most of the country waterlogged. The Sunny South East came close to living up to its name.
This is a class based championship where the winner in each class has the potential to win the 2014 TRITON SHOWERS South East Stages Rally Championship outright.
Leading the championship is the crew to beat in the two wheel drive class, Shane McGirr / Martin McGarritty in the Toyota Starlet, CLASS 5, who by declaring the event as their bonus round have a healthy lead on 30 points.
Second overall is shared by Andrew Fanning / Derek Gibbs, Ford Ka, class 1 and Noel Wade / Eamon Touhy, Ford Escort MK2, class 3, with 24 points. Both of these crews have taken advantage of the bonus round of scoring double points.
Third overall are Micky Conlon and Ciaran McPhillips, class 5, Ford Escort MK2, 20 points.
Class 1. 1 Pierce Doheny / T. Hayes. Peugeot 106. 10 pts.
Class 2. 1 Mike Garahy / C. Garahy. Escort MK2. 15 pts.
Class 3. 1 Douglas Stewart / B. Ryan. Peugeot 206. 15 pts.
Class 4. 1 Alan Commins / J. Commins. Escort MK2. 15 pts.
Class 5. 1 James Coleman / L. Brennan. Escort MK2. 12 pts.
Class 6. 1 Ian Chadwick / J. Bould. Subaru Impreza. 15 pts.
Juniors. 1 Conor McCarthy / D. O’Donovan. Honda Civic. 12 pts.
These positions will undoubtedly change as the championship progresses and crews start scoring their bonus points.
The next round of the 2014 TRITON SHOWERS South East Stages Rally Championship is the Carrick-on-Suir Motor Club’s Willie Loughman Memorial Forestry Rally. The event is based in the Viking Ramada Hotel, Waterford. Three stages done twice are on offer.
As PRO for the TRITON SHOWERS South East Stages Rally Championship I would like on behalf of the promoting clubs and competitors to say farewell from the stages to Mick Nevin and his 99% reliable Ford Escort MK2. Mick has not hung up his helmet but will be competing in autocross and quarry events. Keep doing the LOTTO Mike, somebody has to win it and it could be you. Thanks for the memories.
- ROUND 1. The Sean Conlon Memorial Forestry rally. February 2nd
- ROUND 2. The Willie Loughman Memorial Forestry Rally three stages X 2 in South Kilkenny. Rally HQ Viking Hotel, Waterford. March 2
- ROUND 3. The Munster Moonraker Forestry Rally. Ballyvourney in Co. Cork. April 13
- ROUND 4. Carlow Stages Rally. Seven Oaks Hotel, Carlow. May 11
- ROUND 5. ALMC Forestry Rally based in Glendalough Hotel, Wicklow. May 172 stages X 2.
- ROUND 6. Carrick-on-Suir Ravens Rock Rally. Waterford. June 29
- ROUND 7. Tipperary Stonethrowers Rally. Clonmel. August 10
- ROUND 8. Wexford Stages Rally. September 13th / 14th.
+35386 315 4442